For many us, it’s ingrained to make ‘this year my year to get fit’ part of our New Year’s resolution. But it’s a fleeting fancy for the longest month of the year and is normally broken by the end of January. As employees spend 60% of their waking hours at work, we wanted to make sure that Sixers make healthy choices throughout their days.
Six becomes sugar smart
We recently teamed up with Bristol City Council, and Jamie Oliver’s Food Foundation to create a video for the Sugar Smart Bristol campaign. Highlighting Bristol’s alarming love for sugar, and help Bristol become a Sugar Smart city.
According to their statistics:
- 57% of adults and more than a third of 11-year-olds in the city are now officially overweight
- 3 out of 4 in some areas of Bristol are overweight or obese
- 4 in 5 people in some areas of Bristol are not physically active
- a quarter of five-year-olds in Bristol have tooth decay
- 47 per cent of 15-year-olds do not eat five fruit and veg portions per day and 83 per cent are not getting enough physical activity per day.
Change for life with Sugar Smart Bristol
This shocked us into making some changes. Our normally sweet-toothed Sixers have been doing their best to get fit, healthy and ready for 2017. We’ve introduced salad swaps, yoga classes, weekly fresh fruit deliveries, to curb those daily urges for treats.
We’ve managed to keep up momentum with these great incentives. We’re now looking forward to the summer where we’re starting to put together some great sports opportunities (including a sports day that will see all the classics come out).
“A healthy workforce is a resilient one, which is better for the economy”.
Marvin Rees, Bristol Mayor
If like us you’ve been stunned by the stats, fear not because there’s always time to change! Have a look at the Sugar Smart Bristol website for some tips and tricks on how to easily swap your treats for something healthy. There’s a handy app to help you make changes even easier by showing you how much sugar really is in day-to-day products.
So make your sugar smart changes today.